This is a go-to page with the most useful articles and resources I’ve published on ResearchAsaHobby.com
I’ll be adding new entries here. So, feel free to bookmark this page.
Hosting. In-depth view
As full as possible list of EIG companies and brands with details (beware EIG hosting!)
This is very popular go-to resource and it contains:
- The most complete list of hosting companies owned by EIG (e.g. HostGator, Arvixe, BlueHost etc)
- Other brands and companies that EIG Corporation owns (e.g. ConstantContact, VDeck etc)
My recommended list of hosts, including shared hosting, VPS and Dedicated
I’ve picked out the best performing, the most reliable and ethical hosts I could find. The article contains:
- My short reviews of the hosts I personally recommend
- Recommendations for choosing a hosting
- Live charts showing how the hosts perform (uptime, my test websites speed)
Non-stop hosting monitoring results: Hosting Performance Contest
I’ve been monitoring some shared hosts in order to find the best from the best from performance point of view (uptime and speed). This article contains:
- Description of my methodology how I determine the best host
- Monthly and yearly results of monitoring (determining the best hosting)
- Corresponding links to each of the monthly performance hosting reports
Real-time hosting performance charts and hosting performance historical data (speed, uptime, satisfaction index)
This useful page is basically a data-and-chart sheet which contains the following:
- Real-time performance charts (speed, uptime) for the shared hosting I’ve been monitoring
- Monthly data since February 2016 with average data (uptime, speed, satisfaction index) for each of the hosting I’ve been monitoring
Hosting comparison table with prices and affiliate data
I’ve analysed affiliate programs for the most well-known hosting companies and the hosts I recommend. The purpose is to present the approach of hosting analysis from affiliate costs point of view and the risks connected with it.
This page contains:
- Table with pricing, refunds terms, per-sale affiliate values, evaluation of risk indexes
- My very short reviews on each analysed host
- list of hosts I like based on this analysis
“Can You Use Time To First Byte (TTFB) To Judge Hosting Speed (after 11.7 mln tests)?” research
I show the results of my testing (11.7 mln tests have been run) and research on if Time To First Byte can be a good measurement for hosting performance.
“Is A2Hosting Turbo really worth it?” research
I show the results of my testing (4,176 tests have been run) and research on how much A2Hosting Turbo plan is faster than its normal plan.
Web hosting research
This article describes the process of finding a good hosting and explains how not to become a victim of marketing delusions.
It’s especially useful for beginners who is looking for a hosting.
Protect your website from hacking step-by-step – easy, free and very effective
This is the essential resource and tutorial for making your site secure for free without using sophisticated plugins or website security products. It’s recommended as the first step for securing your WordPress site
The article contains:
- Introduction to WordPress security in very easy language
- Tutorial how to make your WordPress site as secure as possible with the least efforts
One best security plugin or combination of plugins?
The purpose of this article is to compare the most popular and the most efficient website security solutions. This article shows how you can protect your website in an advanced way (both free and paid).
- In-depth comparison of free and paid security products: Sucuri, iThemes Security, BulletProof Security and WordFence
- Different strategies that you can use to protect you website
My best way to backup a website to the cloud for free (plus other ways to backup a site for free)
This is a comprehensive go-to resource that explains how to create and manage WordPress backups for free.
The article contains:
- Tutorials how to create full and partial cPanel backups
- Tutorial how to setup free version of UpdraftPlus plugin to backup your site to GoogleDrive cloud
In-depth review of best website backup services for WordPress sites
This is detailed comparison of the most popular paid backup products for a website: CodeGuard, BackupBuddy, BlogVault and VaultPress. This article is very useful for finding out the hidden behind-the-marketing sides of each product.
The Best WordPress Caching Plugins Speed Test: W3 Total Cache, WP Super Cache vs Sucuri Firewall (Cloud WAF)
This is my one-month non-stop test of two best free caching plugins and one paid security product with caching layer. More than 32K full page load time tests run to evaluate the performance of the caching solutions.
Email Marketing And Opt-In Plugins
Best Opt-in Plugin: Why I Use ThriveLeads
This is my in-depth review of the best email opt-in plugin I could find for my use. And this is not just for getting more email subscribers!
Working On Your Website
How to clone your website for testing for free (using WP Clone plugin)
This is easy tutorial for beginners to help clone a website and put the clone on a subdomain. This is useful for testing plugins or website development.
Marketing tips and getting rid of illusions
My research on how much money popular bloggers earn by blogging per visitor and per page view
This article will show you that behind big income there’s always a big audience and traffic. But it depends on you how much per visitor or per page view you can earn.
My review of Seth Godin’s book “All marketers are liars”
I recommend reading both the book and my review and make your own conclusions.
My FatCow hosting review that turned into a case study
FatCow’s website can be considered as a successful example of on-site marketing. And my review helps to understand the marketing tricks that you can avoid if you are a client or use them to make your product more successful.
P.S.: I’ll be adding more links to my articles on this page when I write good stuff 🙂